This is a call for thoughts/opinions.
Over the years I’ve come to use 3 different Twitter accounts for my own needs.
- techcommdood started as a catch-all but over time was limited to techcomm and other professional content. It’s since become more conversational though still leans professional.
- billswallow started as a private account for close friends, but I soon came to think there was no point in using Twitter in a private manner, so I made it public. It’s mainly used for banter but many professional people follow me here (some primarily over techcommdood).
- beercommdood was an amusing play on my long-held personal brand designed to be hobby focused (craft beer and homebrewing). It’s followed by beer nuts, friends, and professional contacts.
Now, managing 3 personal accounts is not easy. It can be dizzying at times, and even with the best Twitter applications I tend to send from the wrong account on occasion. Since all 3 of these accounts are me, and since I no longer think it’s necessary to hide the fact that I’m a beer-loving techcomm professional with a snarky demeanor, I want to merge them. Plus, it would avoid amusing things like this happening:
The question is, which Twitter name do I use (I will keep all of them but render 2 inactive)? I asked this on Twitter and received some feedback, but I’d like to show where I’m stuck, by account name:
- beercommdood – This was more created out of amusement than anything else. While I have many followers at this account, I don’t think it’d matter what I tweet beer stuff as so long as they continue to get the content. I think. Correct me if I’m wrong.
- techcommdood – I’ve been using this personal brand since 1998. Almost everyone in my pro circle knows me as “techcommdood“, and even refer to me as “the dood” in person. It’s a brand I’m actually happy with. While many do follow for pro info, I get beer followers here and friends as well.
- billswallow – Yes, it’s me by name. This option would be a no-brainer if techcommdood wasn’t so established.
So which do I go with? What would you do? Throw away an established brand for a real world name? Lump everything under the established brand and let things fall where they may? Other?
I really need some thoughts here. I’m torn between techcommdood and billswallow, and can’t decide which is the right one to use. I do want to get down to 1 account, make no mistake about it. But which?